And even if your parents were super cool, open-minded, pot smoking, fashionistas,
itís just too weird to go out with someone your parents approve of.
||Unlike many Asian cultures where
partners are organised and assessed by families, Australians find their
match at the pub.
Many marriages have been brokered after a drunken night at the local
watering hole - blokes and sheilas finding commonality over a common beer.
And guys and gals network to find the right partner for their friends too.
Parents DO NOT get a look in. If your Australian parent approves of
your boyfriend or girlfriend, then, according to teenage culture, you should
dump him/her immediately as that would be considered Ďuncoolí.
So, if you go out with an Australian and your partnerís parents donít
like you, youíre perfect!
1. Discuss with your tutor some of the words and phrases used in this
2. Which words have similar meanings? Draw a line to connect them.
men and women
get rid of
blokes and sheilas soulmate
3. Please write (T) True (F) False or (U) Unknown
1. Australians find their girlfriends and boyfriends at the pub.
2. Itís important for Australians to have their mumís and dadís approval
of their partner.
3. Australians never go out with people their parents want them to.
4. Trendy parents are weird.
5. Your relationship with an Australian may last longer if your partnerís
parentsí donít approve of you!
4. Questions for Discussion
How would you find a husband or wife in your country?
Whatís your opinion of arranged marriages?
Do you think meeting someone in a pub is a good way to start a relationship?
Do you think the reason that there is such a high divorce rate in Australia
is because most relationships start in a pub, or do you believe that there
are other reasons?
Where did you first meet your partner?
Answers to 3. 1. T 2. F 3. U 4. U 5. T