Living at Home
Most young Australians do not want to be under the yoke of parents and
will quickly get a part time job at 14, start paying board at 15, have
their driving license by 16 and be in their own share accommodation by
17. If youíre still at home at the age of 19, well, frankly, itís an embarrassment.
||In recent times some Australians
have started to live at home longer than normal. This is totally against
Australian culture which, ever since the war, has encouraged children to
leave the nest - at 16. Now, children are staying until theyíre of an age
that would have been unheard of 20 years ago. Even up until the age of
Australians are very independent people. They can look after themselves
in almost any crisis. They can stand on their own two feet without the
aid of family, and they know how to buy take away.
But this is the 21st century. And with higher and higher prices, and
the need to study longer, more and more children are growing up at home,
choosing the conservative life, joining church groups, collecting action
figures, playing computer games and foregoing the freedom and independence
of the previous generations. If this isnít stopped now, we may end up with
the humiliating cases of people staying home until the age of 30. Disastrous!!!
1. Discuss with your tutor some of the words and phrases used in
2. Which words have similar meanings? Draw a line to connect them.
3. Please write (T) True (F) False or (U) Unknown
1. Itís okay for Australians to stay home until the age of 30.
2. Australian parents kick children out of the home at 16.
3. Australian children get a part time job at McDonalds when theyíre
15 years old.
4. Higher prices are causing more Australians to live at home.
5. The writer of the article is shocked that Australians are living
at home longer.
4. Questions for Discussion
When do you think is the best time to leave home?
What do you think of children leaving home at the age of 16?
Do you think apprenticeships are one of the reasons children leave
home at 16?
Do you think 16 year olds are capable of looking after themselves without
What do you think children leaving home early does to the family unit?
Answers to 3. 1. F 2. U 3. U 4. T 5. T